Wednesday, December 15, 2010

CB Radio



Put one in the wife's Honda today, have had one in the truck for years. When I was in high school, before everybody had cell phones (but everyone had pagers) we all had CB radios to talk car to car. Back in those days, we used to drive around everywhere, smoking, drinking, and bullshitting. We'd always have the windows down, the stereo up and the cb on.

Most vehicles I've had since high school have had CB's in them. One had a scanner too, but that's a different story.

There are long stretches between here and the wife's hometown during which you have 0 cell phone reception. This gives me a hair more peace of mind, though I doubt anyone still monitors channel 9 for emergencies. Hey...at least it is something.

A guy I work with is from England and when he got here he demanded to his wife that they get a CB in his Mustang cause he saw them in Smokey and the Bandit. They were huge in the 70's and many cars from the factory with them. Everyone was on them...and car movies from the 70's forget it.

They are all but a dead technology now, except among long haul truckers who are keeping it alive. There are still some folks around my neighborhood that I talk to from time to time, old guys with wicked base stations that can transmit for miles. I hear them more when the weather is bad. For some reason I've always loved them and can't see truck now without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it out here: