Thursday, January 19, 2012

Gear- Waterproof Bags

Waterproof bags are essential. Chances are if you go on the road for a long trip you are going to hit some rain. It isn't practical for me to waterproof all my gear but at the very least, I try and protect the things that would be ruined by water.
Map roll across the top, left to right: 5L Seal Line Bag, Sea to Summit 1L Bag, and Seal Line Atlas bag. Seal Line makes great bags in a range of sizes from 5L to 55L. The 5L bag was the first one I ever had and I've really tested it's abilities. It has really held up, never had anything inside come close to getting wet.

Serious fold-over closure, durable materials, very affordable. Highly recommended. I used to ride with a guy who had one of their larger bags and would throw all of his gear in it and just strap it on the bike. Worked great for his style of packing and travel. 
I bought the small Sea to Summit bag to carry electronics outside my pack I didn't want to have to dig them out on short stops. This was before the days of the smart phone. I carried my cell, a small point-and-shoot camera and an mp3 player with ease. Same style fold-over closure as my 5L bag, thinner material. Never had any issues with it either, stays clipped to one of the side mesh bags on my pack.
Roll up map bag, brand unknown. Good for day rides, hook and loop closure, will fit nearly half of a folding map with ease. Retention loops inside for a grease pen or other writing utensil.
Seal Line Atlas Bag, by far my favorite of the bunch. Dedicated for one purpose but nothing else will do for a full sized atlas. This one is actually so big, there is room on the side and some on the top if you wanted to keep something else small inside. Ziplock style closure and plastic d-rings on the top and bottom. I kept it bungeed around my pack so I could hop off quickly for a look without having to dig it out. Worked like a charm.

2 comments:

  1. You're missing out on the good old Army surplus wet weather bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had one but I took a look. Might have to pick one of these up to use inside the pack for clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Lay it out here: