Thursday, February 9, 2012

Gear- Dopp Kit

The Dopp Kit was invented by a German immigrant leathercrafter to carry grooming or toiletry items when traveling. Hitting the scene in 1919, they were standard issue for soldiers during WW2. I have a few different options depending on the needs of the trip.
This is my smallest kit, good for overnights or even a weekend. The cloth drawstring bag rolls up and ties so it packs down good and small.
Left to right, top to bottom: Nice and Clean wipes, hotel soap, pill bottle for medication, deodorant, floss, toothpaste, mouthwash, Denta Burst Brush and Go disposable teeth cleaner, compacted cloth, and toothbrush. This is about is light as I can get in this department and still carry everything I need.
This is my middleweight bag. Cheap shitty material but gets the job done. The external zipper pocket long ago separated and now opens into the main body.
Toilet paper, pill bottle, skin lotion, hot sauce, deodorant, Charmin wipes, bar soap and box, band aids, kleenex, floss, sewing kit, bug spray, sanatizer, shampoo/conditioner, mouthwash, toothpaste, toothbrush. The ziplock bags might seem unnecessary but the first time something bursts open and gets all over everything in your kit, you might think differently.
This one is a bit much, as you will see it is just overkill. I have carried it on the bike a couple times and can say it is all but retired for that purpose. It is a really nice quality LLBean bag that is well constructed and very full featured. That said, it is also bulky in every dimension and takes up a lot of room. This is not an optimal feature when space is at a premium.  
BOOM. Opened up it is pretty damn big. I had to put the camera on panorama to get it all in
 The bottom bag is detachable and plastic lined. This means limited mess if something explodes.
The top has a hook so you can hang it on a branch or in a hotel closet. The velcro that holds the hook doubles to hold the mirror that came with it. Like I said...overkill.
In addition to all of the stuff from the middleweight kit, I also carry all the random junk you see above.
 I keep a pretty solid supply on hand of travel size goods. I rob dentist offices and hotel rooms blind...
This Sea to Summit pocket towel usually stays in the medium pack but I'll grab it and pack it along for smaller trips just because it is so damn handy. True to its name it will fit in your pocket, though not very comfortably.
Having a full size towel when camping is great. If you are on a long trip and plan on showering at sites along the way, this is the only way to go. Wrings out almost completely dry,  I stuff it between my pack and bungee net to get the rest of the way.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the towel maybe a future purchase-I have my normal towel but it is full-sized/full-weight. Great gear post!

    ReplyDelete

Lay it out here: