Thursday, October 31, 2013

Revvin' For Research

I know some folks aren't big on charity rides and frankly, they aren't really my bit either. That said, I was at Heart of Dixie HD and saw the flyer for this ride and decided to do it.

A couple years ago, I got a call from my Mom saying she had found a lump. A biopsy revealed it to be breast cancer. Though they only found it in one breast she elected to have a double mastectomy. Luckily, it had not spread to her nodes or elsewhere. The surgery and recovery were rough on her as were the chemo treatments but with the support of her family and the church, she soldiered on. Despite later complications with a compromised immune system from the treatments, she was declared to be in remission. We are thankful that her diagnosis, the surgery and recovery were not worse. She was one of the lucky ones.

I did this ride for my Mom and in memory of a friend's mother who was killed by the disease. Thanks to the Dixie Divas for putting the ride on, to Heart of Dixie HD for hosting it, to all of the other sponsors that I am forgetting to mention and to Breast Cancer Research Foundation of Alabama for keeping up the good fight.
 
 Got to see Kustom Jeff's slick Sporty chop too, killer looking bike.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this story as well because my Mother went through it too and she was very lucky to have come through it also. It is a short story but... Thank You to EVERYONE who is involved in Supporting Research and the Women who need assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a terrible disease, no doubt. Glad both our moms are survivors.

    ReplyDelete

Lay it out here: